What It's Like At My House

Meez 3D avatar avatars games

Friday, December 21, 2007

Week 9 #22 Downloading Media - or DVRing the Web



Of course, I'm weeks behind on my DVR watching (that's the Comcast version of inferior TIVO,) so now all I need is to add more stuff to watch and listen to. Of course, if I check it out from Overdrive, at least it will return itself on time! I've watched Henry the VIII and His 6 Wives, only to discover it's the abridged version (sniff) which came down as quite watchable on my computer screen - maybe because I'm nose to nose with the screen (of course I brought my laptop to work so I could take advantage of the faster downloading speed!.)

Free ebook sites are just full of stuff I've always been meaning to read, but never did, and probably wouldn't now listen to them unless I was trapped in an airport. All the good stuff is for pay, or on library sites ... if I want to listen to a book it won't be the Illiad, it will be vampires or werewolves or dragons or ... maybe a bit of poetry read by a really good voice actor. What I've listened to on LibriVox is very uneven as far as the voices are concerned - I've shut down things within paragraphs because the voice was just reading Robert Frost like a cereal box. LibriVox is easy to use, and since it's free - just moving on isn't painful. I especially like not having to create an account to listen to something, since I've got acres of passwords out of the istar project to remember already. Wowio is more interesting visually, however.

However, on our library site, I've discovered to my dismay that things I do want to download are often on waiting lists - hey, just like the new dvds!

No comments: